If you have any medical questions or concerns, please talk to your healthcare provider. The articles on Health Guide are underpinned by peer-reviewed research and information drawn from medical societies and governmental agencies. However, they are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Is it normal for a penis to curve?
Penis curvature can be completely normal. In fact, a curved penis is pretty common. Some penises curve left or right, up or down. It can be totally normal for a penis to have a mild curve. But what is a mild curve for a penis? Curves of 30 degrees or less that are not painful or worsening do not typically require treatment (Brant, 2018).
Basically, a curved penis typically does not need medical intervention if:
- Isn’t greater than a 30° curve
- Isn’t steadily increasing
- Doesn’t cause any pain (especially during sex)
- Some penises curve left or right, up or down. It can be totally normal for a penis to have a mild curve.
- Curves of 30 degrees or less that are not painful or worsening do not typically require treatment.
- If you’re experiencing pain or your penis curve is increasing, you might have Peyronie’s disease, a condition that causes painful erections, significant bending, and other complications due to fibrous scar tissue in the penis.
If you’re experiencing pain or your penis curve is increasing, you might have Peyronie’s disease, a condition that causes painful erections, significant bending, and other complications due to fibrous scar tissue in the penis. Peyronie’s disease can worsen with time, so talk to your healthcare provider if you’re experiencing any symptoms of Peyronie’s disease.
Are curved penises better for sex?
According to sexual health expert, Dr. Michael Reitano, a curved penis can be beneficial for some positions, depending on your partner. During heterosexual sex, the G-spot requires “direct stimulation” to achieve orgasm, which a curved penis (sometimes) can achieve more readily than a straight shaft.
Get up to $50 off your first month of ED treatment
A real, U.S.-licensed physician will review your information and get back to you within 24 hours.Learn more
“The penis is designed to glide efficiently in and out of a fairly pliant, lubricated canal. It’s very efficient in terms of easing entry, and the result is a male climax and ejaculation,” says Reitano. “However, from the recipient’s perspective, the friction created, while pleasurable, isn’t focused on the point most responsive to sexual stimulation,” explains Reitano. “That area is the clitoris, which actually runs along the anterior or front wall of the vagina all the way back to the pelvis.”
“An upwardly and slightly curved penis allows it to move efficiently in and out of the vagina while, in certain positions, focusing the tip of the penis on the sensitive area of the front wall,” notes Reitano.
What are the best sex positions for a curved penis?
Admittedly, the suggestions below are subjective and only refer to heterosexual sex. Ultimately, the best sex positions are whatever feels best for both you and your partner(s).
Upward curved penis
- Cowgirl: Let your partner use your curve to her advantage
- Missionary: The upward curve is perfect for G-spot stimulation and pressure on the anterior vaginal wall
Downward curved penis
- Reverse Cowgirl: Let her take control of the pace, penetration, and pressure of your curve
- Doggy style: Allows for deeper penetration, which is helpful if the curve is associated with shortening of the penis
Side curved penis
- “T” position: Place your partner on their back, legs spread, and enter from a perpendicular angle to maximize penetration with whichever way you curve. You basically look like the letter T. Bonus: The T position is low energy (no one is propping themselves up). So you can both stay in it for as long as you need.
Penis curvature and sex
Talk to your partner about what they want and what feels good, and you’ll find the perfect position for any curved penis. Remember that extreme penis curvatures can make sex painful for either partner. If your penis curve is greater than 30°, it can even be dangerous and may warrant medical attention.
Talk to a healthcare provider if you experience pain, or your curved penis is increasing to start treatment as soon as possible.